Year Old Arrested In Connection With Parsons Green Attack

17 Septembre, 2017, 13:09 | Auteur: Edgar Lajoie
  • An armed police officer stands nearby after an incident on a tube train at Parsons Green subway station in London on Sept. 15 2017

The UK's threat level was upgraded from "severe" to "critical" on May 23 following the Manchester bombing on May 22, in which a bomb exploded in the foyer of Manchester Arena moments after US pop star Ariana Grande left the stage.

Prime Minister Theresa May said armed police and members of the military would be seen on the streets in the coming days.

The 18-year-old suspect hasn't been charged or identified.

The man, 21, was arrested late Saturday night in Hounslow, a borough in West London, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

The Parsons Green station in southwest London reopened at 1:30 a.m. on Saturday, more than 17 hours after the explosion.

The first suspect was arrested at around 7.50am, in the port which is the busiest ferry hub in Europe and serves as a commercial gateway to the French coast, including Calais and Dunkirk. Initial examination by explosives experts led them to conclude it was "viable", meaning the device was meant to explode more fully.

An armed police operation in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, is also continuing.

"The public should remain vigilant as our staff, officers and partners continue to work through this complex investigation", Basu said.

According to a translation by Middle East observer Hassan Hassan, a message on the Isis's propaganda page, Amaq, said: "A security source to Amaq: The bombing of the IED in the London tube was carried out by a unit affiliated to the Islamic State".

"This is a proportionate and sensible step which will provide extra reassurance and protection while the investigation progresses", she said. It only partially detonated, from inside a white plastic bucket hidden in a supermarket bag, police said. Meanwhile, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for CT policing, declared it to be a terrorist incident.